Saturday, June 15, 2013

**Star Struck**~ by Amber Garza

Book Title: Star Struck

Author: Amber Garza

Release Date: June 15th

Length: 300 pages

Genre: Contemporary Romance / New Adult

Publisher: Amber Garza

Presented by: As You Wish Tours

Tour Banner by: Candy Smith

The Greatest Teachers I’ve Never Met

The greatest teachers I’ve had through my writing journey are people I’ve never met. Their names are: Alice Hoffman, Ted Dekker, Anita Shreve, Jodi Picoult, Frank Perretti, Jennifer McMahon, Cassandra Clare, Stephanie Meyer,and many more…. These are all authors I’ve read over the years who have influenced my writing. I guess I should take one out – I have met Jodi Picoult, but I doubt she would remember my face from the hundreds who were at her book signing that night.

Reading is pretty much my favorite thing to do. I read all the time. For many years it was just for fun, but ever since I started writing, I have had to learn to read through the eyes of a writer. A mistake I made early on in my writing was trying to emulate my favorite authors. It’s no secret that if I could be any writer it would be Alice Hoffman. I think her writing is beyond beautiful. But every time I’ve tried to write like her it’s been disastrous. I’ve learned that my style of writing is not like hers and I’ve had to give up the idea of sounding like her. I have my own writing voice and I’ve learned to embrace that.

Reading is pretty much my favorite thing to do. I read all the time. For many years it was just for fun, but ever since I started writing, I have had to learn to read through the eyes of a writer. A mistake I made early on in my writing was trying to emulate my favorite authors. It’s no secret that if I could be any writer it would be Alice Hoffman. I think her writing is beyond beautiful. But every time I’ve tried to write like her it’s been disastrous. I’ve learned that my style of writing is not like hers and I’ve had to give up the idea of sounding like her. I have my own writing voice and I’ve learned to embrace that.

In the past year or two I’ve been trying to analyze why it is that I love certain books over others. Take for instance my latest obsession – the Mortal Instruments Series and Infernal Devices Series. I can’t get enough of these books. I seriously am addicted and would read anything written about these characters. So, that brings me to the question – what did Clare do in these books that can help me in my own writing? Her books remind me of the way I felt when reading Twilight (yes, I am a Twi-hard and I’m proud of it). What I’ve realized is that I’m a sucker for a good romance. I’ve realized that if an author writes a love story in a way that I can experience falling in love passionately with the characters, than I’m sucked in. Also, if the author can write a hero that I fall in love with than I’m hooked (case in point – Jace from MI – my book boyfriend *swoon).

Also, I have to be invested in the characters and in the romance or I won’t care enough to keep reading. I think about Hunger Games and Divergent. Both books I completely loved, however, both of them were a little disturbing. The thing that kept me reading both of them were – Peeta and Four. I loved these guys and wanted to read more about them. I could even overlook the senseless killing and scenes that had me biting my nails to the quick. All because I cared about the characters.

I take all these revelations into my writing. I hope that I’m doing my “teachers” proud. I work hard to create characters that readers can believe in. I also write swoon worthy heroes and slowly unfold the romance.

So, thank you to all my teachers whom I’ve never met. Thank you for writing characters for me to fall in love with and storylines I can escape to. I appreciate it!

BLURB

I don’t go for bad boys, or rockers. And I don’t believe in love at first sight. And things only get worse when I hear him sing. The problem is that he wants nothing to do with me. And I know I should stay away from him. Until I see Beckett. There is no one like him. It’s the smart thing to do. Only when it comes to Beckett I don’t want to do the smart thing. He makes me want to take a risk. I just hope he decides to take a risk on me too.

AUTHOR BIO

Amber Garza is the author of Young Adult paranormal and contemporary romance. She has had a passion for writing since she was a little girl, making books out of notebook paper and staples. Amber lives in California with her amazing husband and two hilarious children who provide her with enough material to keep her writing for years.

AUTHOR LINKS

Facebook

Twitter

Website

Amazon Author

Goodreads

B&N

Smashwords

BOOK LINKS

Amazon

B&N

Goodreads

Smashwords

Trailer

Link button to http://asyouwishtours.com

No comments:

Post a Comment